skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Apply for a subdivision resource consentTonoa tētahi whakaaetanga rawa taiao wawaetanga

You need a subdivision resource consent to divide a parcel of land or a building into one or more additional parcels, or to change an existing boundary location.

When to apply to subdivide your property

Here are a few examples of when you need to apply for subdivision resource consent:

  • Subdividing your land into separately owned properties (fee simple).
  • Adjusting the boundary of your land.
  • Converting a cross-lease into a freehold title.
  • Amending a cross-lease, unit title or company lease by making alterations or additions.

What to do before you apply to subdivide your property

  1. Take advantage of our free duty planner service to find out as much information as possible before you start the subdivision application process.
  2. Talk to a Licensed Cadastral Surveyor about whether your property can be subdivided.
  3. If necessary, consult an engineer or a lawyer.
  4. If you decide to proceed, have your property surveyed and get pre-application guidance if necessary and then apply for a subdivision consent.
  5. If we grant your subdivision consent, it is likely to include conditions you will need to follow.
  6. Once the consent is granted, submit a more detailed survey plan to us to get a s223 RMA certificate (your surveyor will help with this process).
  7. Once the survey plan is approved, you can begin works. You must comply with subdivision consent conditions such as installing services (water, wastewater, power and phone), entrances and driveways.
  8. Once all physical works required by the consent have been completed, apply for a s224(c) RMA certificate from us, providing evidence about how each consent condition was met.
  9. Once you have your certificates and have paid all fees, lodge the subdivision plan and certificate with Land Information NZ (LINZ), who will issue the new Records of Title. Your lawyer will help with this process. A Record of Title is needed to sell each parcel of land separately.

The key professional for the subdivision process is a Licensed Cadastral Surveyor.

You may also need a consultant planner, engineer or a lawyer.

Apply online for a subdivision resource consent

We accept online applications for a subdivision resource consent. If you are unable to apply digitally, visit one of our service centres for assistance in making your online application. Before you apply, check the document naming standards for resource consent online applications.

Apply now

If there is no way to provide digital copies of your plans or documents, visit our Customer Service Centre. Our staff will accept your documents for an additional charge. The charge covers costs involved with us scanning your documents into our digital consent system.

Call us on 06 835 7579 to speak with our duty planner if you have questions regarding your application.


Napier City Council - Copyright © 2024 Napier City Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Napier City Council - / +64 6 835 7579 /