Rugby is played on the park in winter, with the park having three fields and training areas. Lawn bowls, skating and croquet are also catered for in an area within the park.
- Touch Rugby Fields (6)
- Cricket Practice Areas (2)
Whitmore Park is the home of Napier Technical Sports Club with its affiliated clubs of Napier Tech Rugby, Napier Tech Cricket and the Napier Tech Brass Band, and a pavilion built in 1962 has been enlarged for players.
The Napier Technical Sports Club and a skating rink occupy one end of the park, next to public changing facilities and toilets. The Wairere Bowling Club and Marewa Croquet Club are established at the other end, together with the Napier Pottery Club and Napier Bridge Club.
This area was set aside by the Housing Division of the Ministry of Works when the southeastern end of Marewa was being laid out in residential sections in the early '50s.
The land was vested in the Napier City Council in 1957, and the park was ready for use in 1960.
The park's name commemorates Major General Geo. Whitmore who was associated with the military defence of the early settlement of Napier. In 1886, he led the attack on the Hau Hau at Omarunui, which is some kilometres up the Tutaekuri River from Taradale
Whitmore Park Images
Whitmore Park Summer Field Layout
Douglas McLean Avenue, Marewa. Standard summer field layout for Whitmore Park.
Whitmore Park Winter Field Layout
Douglas McLean Avenue, Marewa. Standard winter field layout for Whitmore Park.