Hawke's Bay Civil Defence Emergency Management Group coordinates emergency management in Hawke's Bay - call 0800 422 923 for urgent access to essential household goods and services (7am - 7pm) as we provide welfare support during the COVID-19 response || visit COVID19.govt.nz or call the free Government Helpline on 0800 779 997 (8am - 1am) || call Healthline on 0800 358 5453 for free COVID19 health advice || 25 March: NZ declared a national State of Emergency to manage the spread of COVID19. Find out more »
Consecrated (blessed) in 1877 with separate Anglican, Roman Catholic and Presbyterian areas, this cemetery sits on a hillside off Puketapu Road, west of Taradale. Only existing family-owned plots remain available for full-size burials or for returned servicemen and women.
Gates open at 8:00am and close at sunset. Toilets are open from 8:00am until sunset.
The only plots available for full-size plot burials are existing family-owned plots and those held for returned servicemen and women. For information regarding memorials for these areas contact the Sexton or Administration Clerk.
The cemetery was consecrated on 30 May, 1877 on land donated by local landowner Henry Stokes Tiffen to the Anglican Church in Taradale. As was usual at the time, the layout provides separate Anglican, Roman Catholic and Presbyterian areas.
The Presbyterian Church bought further land for burial purposes in 1926. Taradale Borough Council took over the responsibility for managing the cemetery in 1943.
The cemetery has a link with the Marist Fathers and Brothers, whose seminary was about 1.5 kilometres to the north at Greenmeadows. There is a group of priests and brothers' graves, each topped with a plain cross. Lower on the slope is a tall memorial to Father R P E Reignier S M, founder of many Catholic parish churches in Hawke's Bay.
The Returned Services Cemetery for Napier and Taradale is on the upper slope. The handsome black granite Lone Pine Memorial was dedicated in 1999 as a tribute to the servicemen and women interred in the cemetery. On the slope above the memorial is a representative Aleppo Pine, grown from seed descended from Gallipoli's famed Lone Pine.
A lawn cemetery is maintained for deceased service men and women. Burial within Returned Services Cemeteries must adhere to Internal Affairs Department guidelines.
Guidance as to qualification for burial in a Returned Services Cemetery should be sought from the local representative of the New Zealand Returned Services Association.
Plaques are supplied by Internal Affairs Department.
Ash Interment in a Burial Plot
Ashes may be interred in existing burial plot within any Napier cemetery. Special conditions may apply to the Returned Services cemeteries.
Rose Ash Plots
No plots are available. Further development is being considered.
On hillside off Puketapu Road, west of the Taradale township. Take the same route out of town as for Park Island/Wharerangi/Western Hills cemeteries. Keep on Westminster Avenue to the roundabout for Wharerangi Road and then turn right. At the end of Wharerangi Road, turn left into Church Road. Turn right off Church Road into Harpham Street. At the end of Harpham Street, turn right onto Puketapu Road. Continue up the hill to the cemetery. (Use top entrance as the route through the cemetery is one-way only.)
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Napier City Council - www.napier.govt.nz / +64 6 835 7579 / email@example.com