skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Manager's Certificate

When alcohol is being sold or supplied to the public on licensed premises, there must be someone with a Manager’s Certificate on duty. See the details below about how to apply and renew certificates, temporary and acting managers, and the rules about keeping good records.


To apply for a Manger's Certificate you can follow the process outlined on this page or you can apply online with the link below:

Managers Certificate Application: New or Renewal

Applying for your Manager's Certificate

  • The minimum age requirement is twenty (20) years of age. 
  • Six (6) months experience at licensed premises in the hospitality, grocery or liquor industries. 
  • NZQA standard units 4646 and 16705 through an approved course provider. 
  • Photo ID (Passport, HANZ 18+, drivers licence). 
  • Reference from your current employer stating; training, experience and character. 
  • An interview with the Licensing Inspector. 
  • Work Visa issued by Immigration New Zealand (if applicable). 

The first certificate is issued for 12 months; a renewed certificate is issued for a three-year period.

Renewing your Manager's Certificate

  • The Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ) Bridging Test is required for renewals if unit standard 4646 has been issued under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 for applications. 
  • Photo ID (passport, HANZ 18+, drivers licence). 
  • Reference confirming your employment at licensed premises and your role (regarding the sale and supply of alcohol) within the hospitality, grocery or liquor industry. 
  • Once your renewal has been submitted it will remain current until a decision has been made.

    Please note:
  • Failure to provide evidence of working at licensed premises may draw opposition from the Licensing Inspector and the Police. You may be required to attend a public hearing to determine if your renewal should be granted.
  • If your manager’s certificate has expired you will need to apply for a new manager’s certificate or do it online here.

Temporary and Acting Managers

A licensee must give notification to the Licensing Inspectors of appointment, cancellation or termination of any manager, temporary or acting manager ( see section 231 of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012).

Temporary Managers

A member of staff can be appointed a temporary manager. This will cease if an application for a manager’s certificate is not submitted within 48 hours.

Acting Managers

An acting manager can be appointed by a licensee for a total of six (6) weeks in a calendar year if a manager is ill, absent or on annual leave.

This maximum block is three (3) weeks (21 calendar days) and a current certificate or an application for a manager’s certificate is not required.

Changing your Manager

Got a new manager in? You'll need to Notify Us of Changes to Managers which you can do online.

Record Keeping by Licensed Premises

All premises under sections 24-26 of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 must keep records of all managers for a 2 year period.



Napier City Council - Copyright © 2024 Napier City Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Napier City Council - / +64 6 835 7579 /