Hawke's Bay Civil Defence Emergency Management Group coordinates emergency management in Hawke's Bay - call 0800 422 923 for urgent access to essential household goods and services (7am - 7pm) as we provide welfare support during the COVID-19 response || visit COVID19.govt.nz or call the free Government Helpline on 0800 779 997 (8am - 1am) || call Healthline on 0800 358 5453 for free COVID19 health advice || 25 March: NZ declared a national State of Emergency to manage the spread of COVID19. Find out more »
While this is one of the city's longer walk routes, it is possible for those familiar with the intervening streets to break it down into several smaller circuits.
A good starting point is from the pergola overlooking the creek by the Kennedy Road/Douglas McLean Avenue crossing. Facing east, walk to the corner and turn left onto Kennedy Road. Cross the creek and turn left again on Georges Drive. Approaching the first house, follow the footpath leading off to the left along Alexander Park.
The path winds through trees and open spaces parallel with the creek. It then crosses Herrick Street and continues west to Taradale Road, where you turn left and follow the footpath until reaching Riverbend Road. Turn left onto the Riverbend Road Reserve, where an all-weather footpath winds through saplings to Kennedy Road.
Cross Kennedy Road at the pedestrian crossing and follow the footpath that runs parallel with Riverbend Road. At Napier Baptist Church, follow the path to the left across the creek and then right to follow the reserve. (As an option, you may continue straight on from the bridge and visit the Kennedy Park Rose Gardens.)
Cross Latham Street, taking the path onto the Latham Street Reserve and passing to the right of the brick-clad pumping station. The route continues for 1.2 kilometres to join up with Te Awa Park. Turn left at the end and follow the path along Chambers Street - you are now walking along the former course of the Tutaekuri River.
Passing Napier Boys' High School, it is interesting to reflect that pre-1931 the school buildings looked out over a wide stretch of the reed-fringed river. The footpath ends at the school.
Carry on along the reserve, crossing Nuffield Avenue. Keeping to the right bank, follow the open creek - all that remains of the river system. Higher than the left bank, this side was an embankment raised across the Ahuriri Lagoon in 1904 as part of the reclamation of Napier South.
Early in its development, it was obvious that Napier was seriously short of building land. Surrounded by marshy terrain and sea, the town was confined to the Hill and to the land south of there, now the Central Business District.
The proposal to build an embankment and reclaim the area was mooted in 1901, and work started in 1904. Using a steam-powered suction dredge, silty water was pumped from the lagoon into an enclosed area. Here the silt settled and built up to form a firm foundation.
Sales of sections began in 1908, and house building was underway by 1910.
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Napier City Council - www.napier.govt.nz / +64 6 835 7579 / firstname.lastname@example.org