skip to main content skip to main menu

Permits, Food & Licensing
~ Kirimana āheitanga, te kai me ngā raihana

knife fork glass

Food Premises

When you find out where you'd like to set up your food place, check with NCC first that what you're planning is in fact a permitted activity at that particular location. You need to ensure that any planned plumbing work has the correct building consents, or if require any resource consents.

All food premises must comply with the Food Act 2014 to ensure safe and suitable food production. Our Environmental Health Officers can help you with this - they can do preliminary inspections at any stage of the development.

The basic requirements are:

  • All food preparation and storage/display area surfaces must be continuously smooth, impervious to water, readily cleanable and light coloured.
  • Floors must be covered to the walls and permanent fixtures.
  • Lighting and ventilation must be adequate.
  • There must be hot and cold running water and a wash hand basin must be convenient to the food preparation area and separate from other sinks.
  • There should be staff toilet and changing facilities.
  • You must arrange management of cleaning practices, personal hygiene policies, pest control, building maintenance and staff training.
  • Registration is renewable each year from the anniversary of your opening or if the business changes hands.

When you're ready to open, contact our Environmental Health Officer (EHO) will take you through what's required under the Good Act 2014. You'll need to apply for a Certificate of Registration (note fees apply). You may not open until Registration has been granted and the EHO/Building Inspector has approved the opening of your premises.

Starting A Food Business

Starting out in a food business can be a daunting proposition. It is important you are aware of the standards required and the correct application procedure. This package is designed to help you to set up a new food operation by providing information on the relevant standards, and the application procedure.

In establishing a new premises there are few financial shortcuts. Commitment to ensuring a high standard at the development stage through selection of suitable materials and equipment combined with thoughtful design will result in greater operational efficiency and cost effectiveness.

You are urged during the process of establishing your business or with any problem relating to the food business to consult your District Environmental Health Officer who can provide expert advice and additional information to clarify any area of uncertainty.

Before proceeding with any food business venture you are advised to consult with the following departments and officers:

Napier City Council Planning Department

  • Resource Management for advice on the District Plan Requirements.
  • District Licencing Agency if you business involves the sale of liquor or BYO.
  • Building and Development for information on building and plumbing and drainage consents and the fire safety requirements.

Environmental Health

  • Operates either on a template/Custom Food Control Plan or a national programme.

 Healthcare Hawke's Bay, Health Protection Unit

  • Advice on labelling of your product if required.
  • Permitted levels of additives in food.

Sale Of Liquor

If you intend to sell liquor on your premises or have patrons bring liquor for consumption on the premises while dining, you will need to apply for an ON-Licence, a requirement of the Sale of Liquor Act 1989. The method of application is outlined in the Sale of Liquor Regulations 1990. For further information contact a Liquor Licensing Inspector.

It is important to realise that approval of applications and the issuing of licences will take time and it is essential that application for a liquor licence is made months in advance of undertaking construction work on the premises.

In addition to staff toilets provision of toilets for male and female patrons will be necessary, with paraplegic access to toilet facilities also a requirement. The number of sanitary fixtures will depend on the proposed seating capacity of the premises.

Also investigation of Fire Safety requirements is essential.

Smoke Free Environments Amendment Act 2003

From 10 December 2004 hospitality venues (bars, clubs, restaurants, cafés, casinos and gaming machine venues) were required to become 100 percent smokefree indoors.

The Area Health Board has smoke-free area signs and stickers available for sale.

Plans And Specifications

Included in your full set of scale plans should be an accurate layout plan of your premises showing the following details. Sufficient copies of the plans should be provided for all the relevant departments:

  • All rooms and their designations. Areas may also be designated for example, dishwash area, vegetable preparation area.
  • The position of all the appliances and fittings, such as preparation benches, shelving, cupboards, wash hand basins, dishwashing machine, cooking appliances, refrigerator and freezer units, extract ventilation hoods.
  • The position of incidental features such as yard areas, refuse storage area, staff and patrons toilets and staff changing areas.

You are strongly recommended to engage the services of an architect with previous experience in the development of food premises, which in most cases will hasten approval for the development.

Specifications of proposed construction materials and finishes are essential. They can either be included on the plan or in a separate specifications sheet.

The information contained in the plans and specifications should enable the Environmental Health Officer and Building Officer to check that the proposed premises complies with the appropriate Regulations and Codes. The Environmental Health Officer needs to be able to develop an idea of how the premises will operate. It is also useful to indicate the type of menu that is envisaged as this may influence the kitchen design.

Please note it is most important in the establishment of new premises that the site is suitable, and has sufficient space. It must be able to accommodate provision of a grease convector (refer to information on this site relating to grease convectors) and extract ventilation over cooking equipment and allow sufficient kitchen space for hygienic operation of the premises.

Training Providers (if required)

Food Handling Certificate which is available through the Eastern Institute of Technology
+64 6 844 8710
View Website

Innovative Educators & Hospitality Training Solutions Ltd
Innovative Educators & Hospitality Training Solutions Ltd - We are able to offer food safety units 167 and 168. Level 3 Food Safety Planning and an APL process for National Certificate in Professional Cookery Level 4. We also offer the Licence Controllers Qualification (units 4646 and 16705) and a Liquor Licensing Service.
+64 6 877 2123
+64 6 877 6593
027 326 7109
0800 929 8646
704 St Georges Road South, Hastings

Hospitality Training Professionals - David and Poppy Clapperton
+64 6 363 8299
021 529 669
View Website

Workforce Development Ltd
60 Prebensen Drive
PO Box 37, Napier
0800 833 5581

Related Documents

There are no documents related to this page.

Related Pages

There are no pages related to this page.

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the Napier City Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Napier City Council - / +64 6 835 7579 / Fax: +64 6 835 7574