European settlement in the Greenmeadows-Taradale area began.
First house was built in the district by Henry Alley.
Presbyterians built Taradale's first church sharing it with the Anglicans until the All Saints' Church was built in 1875.
Henry Alley subdivided a block of his land into half-acre sections and quarter-acre sections to form a new township, named Taradale.
The township played an important part in district transport as it was a starting point for bullock or horse teams on their way to sheepfarming areas - Puketapu, Redclyffe, Tunanui and the Inland Patea.
Settlers were given special rating powers to raise money for flood prevention after a number of bad floods during the late 1960s.
A dam was constructed and completed by 1879 to block the flood waters of the Tutaekuri River. However, Taradale suffered during the great floods of 1893, 1897 and 1924. Floods remained a danger until the diversion of the Tutaekuri River (1936) and the Ngarururo River (1960s).
Manchester Unity was the first society to open in Taradale at the Loyal Meeanee Lodge.
A petition was signed by 94 out of 113 householders in favour of Taradale's claim to town district status and four months later Taradale became a town district.
Taradale's first elections were held.
The board raised a loan of £600 (approved by ratepayers two months later) for roads, footpaths and other civic improvements.
Taradale became an independent town district responsible for all the Hawke's Bay County Council's former liabilities in the area.
The board raised a loan of £3,000 to pay for a town hall (on a site purchased in September 1906), erected and furnished later that year.
The town board received a bequest of £350 to improve Taradale's limited street lighting.
Progressive loan proposals totalling £9,000 being approved allowed for the widening of Gloucester Street (then known as Main Road) from the post office to the Methodist Church at Greenmeadows, the construction of a women's rest, the purchase of part of Taradale Park and the completion of the Taradale and District Soldiers' Memorial 1914-18.
The town board also raised loans for housing and electricity supply. Its housing programme began with a loan of £5,000 for workers' dwellings and together with a further amount of £17,200 provided 31 homes.
The District Soldiers' Memorial was completed and became a well known town landmark.
The board raised a loan of £9,000 to finance Taradale's linkage with electricity supplied by the Napier Borough Council's power plant.
Taradale's electricity supply began.
Supply remained in the hands of the town board until April 1927 when the HB Electric Power Board acquired the board's plant together with its loan liabilities.
The earthquake of 1931 caused a number of buildings to be destroyed among them were the town hall, band rotunda, infants' school, convent, Omarunui Masonic Temple and Taradale Hotel.
The town board raised a loan of £2,000 for a new town hall.
New town hall opened.
A loan of £1,150 was raised for a building to house town board offices and the library and this building was opened in March 1934.
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is
accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith.
Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant
government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content.
Portions of the Napier City Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online
graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced
information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
Build on the blossoming national and international interest in William Colenso's life and ideas as the result of the William Colenso Bicentenary Celebrations in Hawke's Bay in 2011, and a body of new publications and research. View website for William Colenso
strive to Inspire, Educate and Entertain by providing access to information through various resources within our Libraries. We aim to provide more than you expect.
View website for Napier Libraries
MTG Hawke's Bay
Comprising a Museum, Theatre and Gallery - MTG is home to a significant collection of objects that form the foundation of distinctive exhibitions, a world-class research facility and the MTG Theatre. View website for MTG Hawke's Bay
The Faraday Centre
The Faraday Centre in Napier, is Hawke's Bay's Museum of Technology. It's a place of discovery where history comes alive through hands on experience. View website for The Faraday Centre
Unique Art Deco heritage has been preserved with the skilful addition of modern theatre facilities making it the best provincial performing arts centre in the nation.
View website for Napier Municipal Theatre