skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Rebuilding after Cyclone Gabrielle

Following a major weather event such as flooding, homes may have a rapid building assessment carried out, which is an initial check to see if it is safe to enter the building.

Following a major weather event such as flooding, homes may have a rapid building assessment carried out, which is an initial check to see if it is safe to enter the building.

Following an assessment, a building or home may receive either a yellow or red placard (sticker). These are a legal notice that restrict access to a building and should not be changed or removed unless you have permission from the building team.

 If your building or home has a placard that is yellow or red you should contact your insurer in the first instance. You may also need to use a suitably qualified tradesperson or chartered professional engineer to do repairs or carry out further inspections.

 Most repairs (including septic tank replacements) are exempt from requiring a building consent under Schedule 1 of the Building Act as they are either classed as like for like or similar replacements or covered by a discretionary exemption. However, the following replacements will still require the relevant approval: 

  • Changing the make and model of a solid fuel heater will require building consent approval.
  • All electrical work must be signed off by a registered electrician and a Certificate of Compliance supplied and submitted to Council. Your registered electrician will issue this certificate.
  • If you install a waterproof membrane to a wet area shower or bathroom (tanking) this must be completed by an approved installer who will provide a producer statement that will be submitted to Council, along with the Licensed Building Practitioner Record of Work.
  • In the extreme case that a dwelling needs to be demolished and rebuilt a building consent will be required for the new dwelling, however the demolition of the existing dwelling would be exempt under Schedule 1 as long as it is a detached dwelling.

Once repairs are completed, please complete the below checklist for flood affected dwellings and contact our Building Consents team on the inspection line 06 835 1545 to book an inspection. If everything is in order the placard can then be removed.

checklist of what’s required from flood affected homeowners before placards can be removed.

Property owners should also be aware that placards will be disclosed on future LIM reports requested for the property. All placards issued are required to be noted on LIM reports and will reflect the most current status, including after the placard has been removed.

For further advice or guidance please phone our Building Consents team on 06 835 7579 and request to speak to the Duty Building Officer.

Septic tanks and waste water treatment systems

Please seek independent expert advice with regards to cleaning out septic tanks and advanced waste water treatment systems.



Napier City Council - Copyright © 2024 Napier City Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Napier City Council - / +64 6 835 7579 /