skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Written approval of affected personsNgā whakaaetanga ā-tuhi o ngā tāngata whai pānga.

Know your rights if a consent applicant contacts you asking for written approval for their consent application.

When we assess a resource consent application, we consider whether people may be adversely affected by the activities proposed in the application. If you are identified as an affected person, you may be approached by the applicant for written approval.

Getting approval

If there are people that may be affected by your resource consent proposal, consider getting their written approval before you lodge your application with us.

When you approach people to ask for their written approval, take a copy of the information and plans you are including in the proposal for them to look over.

If you get written approval from affected parties, we will not consider the effects of your project on these people when deciding whether to notify your consent. This may mean you can avoid the need for notification and a hearing.

For more information, see the consultation for resource consent applicants guide on the Ministry for the Environment website.

Giving your approval to a resource consent

When considering a resource consent application, we consider the effects of a proposal on the surrounding environment and people. 

If you are likely to be affected by a proposed activity you may be approached by the consent applicant, or someone acting on their behalf, to ask for your written approval of their proposed activity. 

You need to understand why they are asking for your approval, and what effects the proposed activity will have on you and your property. 

You are not obligated to give your written approval at any time.

If you do give your written approval:

  • the adverse effects on you will not be considered when we decide whether to notify the application, or to grant or decline the application
  • you cannot appeal the decision after the resource consent has been approved or issued.

If you’re unsure if you should provide written approval, you should get independent advice from a professional, e.g. a planner or lawyer.

Read the useful guide on the Ministry for the Environment website, which outlines everything you need to know about your rights as an affected person.


Napier City Council - Copyright © 2024 Napier City Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Napier City Council - / +64 6 835 7579 /