skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

What is a consent and do I need one?He aha te whakaaetanga, ā, me whai whakaaetanga ahau?

What is a resource consent?

A resource consent is permission from the local council for subdivision of land or a land use activity that is not permitted under the District Plan.

A resource consent may come with conditions that help manage the effects of your proposal.

When you need to apply for a resource consent

When development does not comply with a District Plan rule or standard, or when a rule in the District Plan states that a resource consent is required for that specific activity, you need to apply for a resource consent. 

Examples of situations where you may need to apply for a resource consent are:

  • building a house
  • developing or subdividing land
  • retail, commercial or industrial activities
  • earthworks

How to check if you need a consent

There are several ways you can check if you need a consent.


Napier City Council - Copyright © 2024 Napier City Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Napier City Council - / +64 6 835 7579 /