Publicly Notified Resource Consent - Bupa NZ
Public notice of application concerning resource consent
NCC has received a resource consent application from Bupa New Zealand to build a retirement complex on Ulyatt Road. The proposal - for 99 retirement villas, 49 care rooms and 19 apartments - was opened for public submissions on 13 December 2017. These submissions closed on Thursday 1 February, 2018.
Location: 25 and 35 Ulyatt Road, Napier (Lot 1 DP 423183, and part of Lot 2 DP 423183)
Application number: RM170155
Type of Consent applied for: Land use consent - Napier District Plan, Discretionary Activity Rule 34.14.1(g)
Description of Proposal
Bupa New Zealand's proposal is to build a retirement village and care home complex within the Main Rural Zone consisting of 99 Retirement villas, 19 retirement apartments, 49 care home rooms, and associated care facilities.
The proposed development would include kitchens, nursing stations, communal dining and lounge areas, cafe and visitor, service, reception and administration areas. There'd be a central green with integrated walkways, visitor and staff car parking, comprehensive landscape plantings, two road access points to Ulyatt Road, and a new footpath, kerb and channel along Ulyatt Road. It'd require up to 80,000m3 of earthworks to develop the site.
The application which follows includes an assessment of environmental effects. You can inspect or obtain a copy of the application at Napier City Council. If you have any questions about it, please contact Shane Lambert, NCC Senior Resource Consents Planner on +64 9 835 7579.
More information on Bupa's application
We have most of Bupa's supporting documentation available below. The only missing document is the Bupa Napier Appendix 2b Visual Assessment which is too large to upload to our website. If you'd like to see it, please contact Shane at the number above and he'll arrange to get a copy to you.
- Bupa Napier Appendix 1a Plans
- Bupa Napier Appendix 1b Architectural Statement
- Bupa Napier Appendix 2a Landscape Visual Assessment
- Bupa Napier Appendix 3 Traffic Report
- Bupa Napier Appendix 4 Civil and Services Assessment
- Bupa Napier Appendix 5 Geotechnical Report
- Bupa Napier Appendix 6 Acoustic Report
- Bupa Napier Appendix 7 NESCS Report
- Bupa Napier RC Application Cover information and form
- Bupa Ulyatt Rd Napier RC Application
Hearings Commissioner Rob van Voorthuysen's Directions
We received 14 submissions on the proposal. Bupa then provided further information on their proposal. The Hearings Commissioner, Rob van Voorthuysen, then issued a 'Hearing Minute' which gives guidance on time-frames and evidence-sharing.
Commissioner van Voorthuysen has also asked a series of questions of both NCC and Bupa NZ on the s42A Officers Report and the draft conditions included. He requires answers by 15 August 2018: these will be posted on this page once they're completed.
- Commissioner's Questions - Deadline for answers 15 August
- Commissioner's questions to Bupa NZ on the applicant's evidence
Applicant's Statements of Evidence for Hearing
- Bupa Applicant Evidence - Richard Stephenson - 8 August
- Bupa Applicant Evidence - Greg Knell - 8 August
- Bupa Applicant Evidence - Boyd Wilson - 8 August
- Bupa Applicant Evidence - Marc Barron - 8 August
- Bupa Applicant Evidence - Paul Murphy - 8 August
- Boyd Applicant Evidence - Ian Constable - 8 August
Applicants - Bupa - also responded to the Commissioner's questions and provided legal submissions.
Written statements from submitters
Hawke's Bay Regional Council sent in two letters in response to Bupa's consent hearing statement.
- HBRC's first letter to NCC re: Bupa NZ's retirement complex consent hearing statement - 14 August 2018
- HBRC's second letter to NCC re: Bupa NZ's retirement complex consent hearing statement - 15 August 2018
NCC Planning Officer's s42A Response to Commissioner's Questions
NCC considered Bupa's application and the submissions received. We've attached these submissions - and Bupa's supplementary information - below. These are the appendices of the NCC Officer's Report. NCC Senior Resource Consents Planner, Shane Lambert, has recommended approval - subject to conditions.
- NCC Planning Officer's s42A Response to Commissioner Questions
- HBRC Draft Cross Country Drain Concept Plan - February 2018
- Attachment 1 - Purimu Drain: CFR and SO Plan
Following are Appendices ‘B’ through to ‘J’ of the Hearings Report. Note Appendix A covers all of Bupa's initial application documents (see 'More Information on Bupa's Application' above).
- Bupa Napier Appendix B - AgFirst Assessment Effects on Soil
- Bupa Napier Appendix C - Request for Further Information
- Bupa Napier Appendix D - Applicants s92 Response WKCL
- Bupa Napier Appendix D - Bonisch SW Concept
- Bupa Napier Appendix D - DSI Report Clarification
- Bupa Napier Appendix D - HBRC Concept
- Bupa Napier Appendix D - Proposed Conditions offered by Bupa
- Bupa Napier Appendix D - Response Holland Beckett Assessment
- Bupa Napier Appendix E - s95 Notification Assessment
- Bupa Napier Appendix F - Submission 1 HBRC
- Bupa Napier Appendix F - Submission 2 NZTA
- Bupa Napier Appendix F - Submission 14 S Rogerson
- Bupa Napier Appendix F - Submission 3-14 including HB Fruitgrowers, Arrell, Newman, Lane, Turner, Raikes, Crawshaw, Currie
- Bupa Napier Appendix G - NCC 3 Waters Referral and Comments
- Bupa Napier Appendix G - NCC Infrastructure Comments
- Bupa Napier Appendix H - NCC Transport Referral and Comments
- Bupa Napier Appendix I - HB Hazards Natural Hazards Report
- Bupa Napier Appendix J - HAC NZTA Noise Conditions
- Bupa Napier Appendix J - NZTA Email Agreement Matters Resolved
- Bupa Napier Appendix J - Proposed NZTA Acoustic Conditions
- Bupa Napier - List of Appendices
20 August 2018