skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Resource Consent compliance and complaintsWhakaaetanga rawa taiao: ngā tūtohu me ngā nawe

Compliance issues are not always our responsibility. They may be the responsibility of the police, another government agency, or they may be a civil matter, e.g. an issue between neighbours to be decided either legally, or through mediation.

How we ensure compliance

We monitor development sites to make sure they comply with legislation, planning rules and consent conditions.

Depending on the level of non-compliance, there is a range of enforcement options we can take, from education, to formal enforcement such as abatement notices and prosecution.

Formal enforcement is not taken lightly. It is based on thorough investigation and takes into account the impact, and what the person responsible has done to fix the situation.

What to do if you are not satisfied with a decision on a consent

If you are unhappy with a decision on a consent or a problem has not been resolved, you can make a formal complaint.

How to complain about other matters

To determine your boundary, contact either:

Fencing is usually a civil matter. In the first instance, contact the Citizens Advice Bureau or your lawyer to discuss your issue.

For fences over 2.0m in height, contact us and ask for the duty planner to discuss.

To report trespassing or an obstruction in a private accessway - contact the police.

To report other obstructions:

  • Footpath, berm, road or a public area: call us on 06 835 7579.

To report damage caused by a developer - contact the Citizens Advice Bureau or your lawyer.

Earthworks causing instability on a neighbouring property including cracking of the earth or a large unstable cut: call us on 06 835 7579.

One of our compliance officers will visit the site to make an assessment.

Vibration due to construction or earthworks may cause vibration effects. It’s recommended that if your neighbour is undertaking significant works, that you engage the services of an expert to complete a dilapidation report of your property.

While we may be able to help with the causes of vibration, we can't help with rectifying any damage.

Noise being created as the result of works associated with a resource consent is generally controlled by resource consent conditions/The Napier City Council Operative District Plan. If you have any noise related concerns you can call us on 06 835 7579.

One of our compliance officers will visit the site to make an assessment.

Call the Hawke’s Bay Regional Council pollution hotline to discuss any issues on 0800 108 838.

Issues concerning trees along the boundary of neighbouring properties are a private matter, unless the tree is a protected tree.

To make a complaint about a public tree in a park or road reserve, call our Park’s, Reserves and Sportsgrounds team on 06 835 7579.

To report safety issues or lack of onsite facilities for neighbouring developments contact Worksafe New Zealand.


Track the progress of your consent application by contacting our duty planner on 06 835 7579 with your resource consent number.

Reporting unconsented development

If you suspect work is being carried out, or has been carried out, that you think needs a resource consent, contact the duty planner on 06 835 7579.


Napier City Council - Copyright © 2024 Napier City Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Napier City Council - / +64 6 835 7579 /