skip to main content skip to main menu

Permits, Food & Licensing
~ Kirimana āheitanga, te kai me ngā raihana

knife fork glass

Club Licence

This licence authorises a club to sell or supply liquor for consumption on the premises. A club must be incorporated. Club licences are held by sports and social clubs. There must be a person with a current manager's certificate on duty at all times when liquor is being sold or supplied to the public.

All clubs:

  • must have a secretary, and
  • proceeds from the sale of liquor must belong to the club

 Please note that temporary authorities cannot be granted to club licensed premises.

Apply for a new club licence

General guidelines:

  • there is a fee for a club licence. The fee must be paid at the time of application and is not refundable
  • the processing timeframe is 25 working days provided that all the relevant information is included with the application
  • before you apply for your club licence you will need to obtain building and planning certificates
  • if you do not own the premises, the owner's consent must be included with the application
  • a plan of the premises must be included in the application
  • once your application has been accepted for lodgement, two public notices must be placed in the newspaper within 20 working days
  • this licence is initially renewable after one year then every three years after that
  • the licence application form including guidelines on what you need to do
  • the forms to apply for the compliance certificates
  • an application form for manager's certificate

Building and planning certificates

Planning Certificate under the Resource Management Act 1991

  • there is a fee
  • takes approximately 20 working days to process
  • Applications should include all supporting information and documentation, particularly planned usage of floor areas for ALL buildings on site, proposed or existing opening hours and parking requirements for each activity on site. Details of what's required are included on the application form.

 Building Code Certificate

This compliance certificate is required to ensure that the premises comply with the Building Code.

  • there is a fee (plus a fee for each additional inspection required)
  • takes approximately 20 working days to process

 Permitted occupancy number

The maximum occupancy number relates to the number and type of existing toilets serving the licensed area. This needs to be calculated and recorded on your application. Visit the Department of Building and Housing website to assess or check your current occupancy numbers.

View Department of Building and Housing website

NOTE: Application forms for Club Licences will be appended as soon as possible after 18 December 2013. In the interim please contact the Licensing Inspector.

Related Pages

There are no pages related to this page.

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the Napier City Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Napier City Council - / +64 6 835 7579 / Fax: +64 6 835 7574