Note - Not all cemetery records are online. Currently only these cemeteries are available online: Wharerangi, Western Hills and Eskdale.
About the database
The Napier City Council have their cemetery records online in a searchable database. We encourage the public to use this database to try and find the information they require, if the information can not be found please get in contact with the cemetery clerk.
Disclaimer: The Napier City Council makes every endeavour to ensure the information in the cemetery database is correct, but accuracy or completeness is not guaranteed. Our aim is to have correct information on the database. If there is any information that you think is incorrect please send us the correct information with supporting verification.
Note: Other sources of genealogy information include Funeral Directors' records, newspaper death notices, Electoral Rolls and Transcriptions compiled by the NZ Society of Genealogists.
Help with your searches
If you are having trouble trying to find the information you require then try some of these things.
- All Fields: This searches everyone of the fields listed in the dropdown, so you can either enter a name a date etc.
- Given Names (also known as): This searches on the given names but also searches another field which we store also known as names e.g. nicknames.
- Family Name: When searching for a family name try just using a few letters of the name as your spelling maybe different to what is in the database e.g. instead of smith type smi. This way you will get all family names that start with smi.
- Date of Death (dd-mm-yyyy): If you know the date that the deceased person died then you can choose to search by the death date which is the dd-mm-yyyy option in the dropdown. Please enter the date in as the format describes e.g. 12-10-1978 etc.
- Occupation: The option to search by the deceaseds occupation is in the dropdown, the effectiveness of this search is only as good as what we have received. e.g. some people are put down as retired not what their last job was before they retired so you may not be able to find them by their last occupation.
- Last Known Address: You can also search by the deceaseds last known address when they died, again this is only as good as our information. e.g. they may have died in a resthome so that will be the last known address.
- Inscriptions: This allows you to just search the inscriptions that are entered on the headstone, plaque etc.
If you can still not find the information that you require and you are sure that the person is in a Napier cemetery then please get in contact with us by filling in the genealogy request form below.