Napier City Council is committed to facilitating economic development and employment growth in the city.
Council’s strategic vision is to enhance the city’s position as the leading commercial and tourism centre in Hawke’s Bay. In order to achieve this vision, Council’s key economic goal is to strengthen the local economic base by expanding employment opportunities and achieving higher rates of economic growth. Attracting new businesses and investments will increase the economic base of the community which will in turn boost standards of living and incomes.
Council’s economic development activities include:
- Political leadership and advocacy.
- Policy and strategy development.
- Business attraction and promotion.
- Funding key local economic development and tourism organisations.
- A ‘whole of organisation’ approach for particular economic development requirements and issues such as timely resource consent approvals for job creating developments.
The Economic Development department is the lead Council unit for this activity. It's responsibilities include:
- Revising the Hawke’s Bay Regional Economic Development Strategy.
- Developing a regional Business Attraction Strategy.
- Leading Napier and regional business promotion activities.
- Directing Council’s financial assistance to key local and regional economic development organizations and initiatives such as Business Hawke’s Bay, the Art Deco Trust and Napier City Business, Inc.
- Maintaining and enhancing the Council’s sister city relationships.
- Facilitating business development, business start-ups and mentoring in collaboration through the various organisations in the Business Hub.
Council collaborates and works closely with Business Hawke's Bay in developing regional business attraction initiatives. For further information go to Business Hawke's Bay website.
For further information or confidential inward investment assistance, please contact Napier City Council's Economic Development Manager.
+64 6 834 4193
+64 27 448 8089