skip to main content

I want to...

Current filter:

Appeal a decision

Appeal Council's Decision

If you don't like the decision the council made about a resource consent application you can ask the Environment Court to overturn the council's decision. The court is made up of judges and commissioners and it reviews the case. You should get legal advice before you file an appeal. The process can be expensive and time consuming. You might be able to sort out your case I mediation and not have to go to court.

You should be aware though that only people who made a submission on the resource consent application can appeal a council decision.

But there are other ways that you may be able to have your say in Court. Even if you don't file an appeal, and someone else does, you could still get involved either:

  • By appearing in Court as someone who made a submission, or
  • As someone who has an interest greater than the public generally, or
  • In support of the person who filed the appeal.

Napier City Council - Copyright © 2023 Napier City Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Napier City Council - / +64 6 835 7579 /