The Council's 303 retirement flats are located in nine established villages in Napier.
- Hastings/Munro Retirement Village has 4 flats
- Henry Charles Retirement Village has 80 flats, plus a village hall
- Oriel Place Village has 20 flats
- Otatara Retirement Village has 12 flats
- Centennial Retirement Village has 40 flats
- Rangimarie Retirement Village has 16 flats
- Arthur Richards Village has 50 flats, plus a village hall and coordinator's office
- Coventry Avenue Village has 31 flats
- Greenmeadows East Village has 50 flats and a house
All the flats have one bedroom, as well as a bathroom, kitchen, lounge and laundry area. They vary in design - some have a separate kitchen, while others have an open plan kitchen and lounge.
Village coordinators are available to support tenants at all our retirement flats across. Our village coordinators represent the tenants in any dealings they may have with community and service organisations, such as Meals on Wheels, hospitals and home help.
The coordinators' also look after the general welfare of tenants. They try to visit each tenant once a fortnight and are also on call during work hours for general enquiries.
For emergencies, there's a staff member on call 24/7.
The Council is responsible for maintaining the community lawns and gardens in a tidy condition. Tenants are responsible for tending the small garden surrounding their flat.
Our retirement flats are available for all who meet Council's criteria, mostly around housing needs and income. Specifically:
- Applicants must have a genuine housing need
- Applicants must have a low income
- Applicants must meet an asset test
- Applicants have to be 60 years and over
- Applicants have to be New Zealand residents
- Applicants must have proof of their ability to pay rent
- Applicants are required to complete the application forms, then sign a statutory declaration in front of a Justice of Peace, deputy Registrar of the District Court, or another officer authorized to take declarations.
- All applicants must attend an interview before being allocated a property.
For more information, or more details on our criteria, please call the housing manager on (06) 835 7579.