Are you prepared?
All possible events are prevalent in New Zealand, that is one of the reasons it is such a stunning country. Here in Napier we are subject to a few threats and it's essential we all prepare to get through a disaster be it natural or man-made. Such events can happen at any time. Being prepared can make a significant difference - it reduces the impacts and helps us to manage in such situations.
What are the basics?
Having a plan is an empowering tool to ensuring your family is ready to get through anything. The national emergency website Never Happens? has a plan online that you can fill in, then print out for the fridge. Good idea to make sure everyone has a copy.
These are the Emergency Survival Items you need to have at home.
- Water - at least three litres per person per day for three days. More is better. Don't use milk containers for storing water.
- Food - at least three days' supply. Include canned and dried goods.
- Ensure there is an alternative cooking source available such as a BBQ or camp cooker
- Keep essential utensils such as a can opener and a fire lighter on hand.
- Every household member will need warm waterproof clothing, sturdy shoes and an emergency blanket.
- Keep important family documents together and safe in a readily accessible place.
- Medications and a first aid kit.
- Baby supplies.
- Soap, wet wipes, toilet paper.
- At least one torch with spare batteries.
- A wireless radio with spare batteries.
- A notebook and pen.
A Getaway Kit for evacuation is essential, especially in Napier where you may have to move fast.
- Torch and radio with spare batteries
- Any special needs such as hearing aids and spare batteries or medication
- Emergency water and easy to carry food
- First aid kit
- Warm clothing
- Change of footwear for walking
- Sleeping bag or emergency blanket
- Face and dust mask
- Personal documentation
- Small amount of cash
These lists are just a guide. Have a think about what else you might need. The Never Happens? website is a good guide.