Swimming Pool Fence Checklist
This is a checklist for your convenience, but does not cover every situation. For further advice for your specific situation, please contact the Duty Building Officer.
Immediate pool area should not contain any of the following:
- Washing line
- Play area and equipment not directly related to the swimming pool
- Garage, carport or vehicle access
- Vegetable garden
- The whole backyard
Hinged doors giving access to pool area
- Closes and latches automatically
- Latch/handle minimum of 1.5m from bottom of door
- No devices to enable the door to be held open
Sliding/bifold doors giving access to pool area
- Latch or locking bolt, at a minimum of 1.5m from the floor
Windows giving access to pool area closer than 1.2m from the floor
- Should be fitted with a limiter to prevent them opening more than 100mm
- 1.2m high from outside ground level or any permanent projection within 1.2m
- 900mm minimum between horizontal rails
- Gaps under fence less than 100mm
- Mesh size no more than 10mm - fence must be at least 1.2m high
- Mesh size no more than 50mm - fence must be at least 1.8m high
- Picket fence gaps no wider than 100mm
- No climb points on outside of fence e.g. seating etc. For example see diagram below
- Any permanent structures on the outside of the fence that could be used for climbing must be at least 1.2 metres from the fence.
- Latch on outside of gate to be 1.5m high
- Latch on pool side to be 1.2m high
- To open away from pool
- To be self closing and self latching
- If the latch is on the inside of the fence it should only be accessible by reaching over the top of the fence. On gates of open construction, a latch shield may be required.
- Must have a complying fence. Pools with self-locking lids require a SPECIAL EXEMPTION from Council.