Planning Started: January 2007
Construction Started: March 2008
Completed: May 2008
Council responded to public interest in retaining historic decommissioned water storage facilities and upgrading the site on Napier's Bluff Hill.
After seeking the views of Napier residents, the Council decided to retain the water storage facilities no longer in use. Three reservoirs on site continue to serve the city.
Recently landscaped with paving, bench seating, grassed areas and planting, the site - on the corner of Thompson and Seapoint roads, offers a commanding view southeast to Cape Kidnappers.
Visitors climb a flight of steps onto the top of the original reservoir, embedded in a grass mound. Built in 1890, this reservoir held up to 1.5 million litres of water but is no longer required.
Originally erected in 1910, the water tower can be seen from many vantage points around Napier Hill. Toppled in the 1931 earthquake, it was rebuilt by J J Niven and Co. It had capacity for 34,000 litres, and its height helped boost water pressure for houses on Bluff Hill up until 1988.
Three storages tanks on site are an important part of the water pressure system for Napier Hill. The rectangular concrete tank was built in 1908. It has a capacity of 1.4 million litres and is used to supply water to Bluff Hill homes. Built in 1931-33, the round tanks can hold 5.7 million litres.
Drawn from a massive aquifer under the Heretaunga Plains, Napier's water is very highly regarded - both for its purity and its taste.