Anderson Park Destination Playground
Planning started: 2015
Construction to commence: December 2017
Construction expected to be completed: Mid-2018
Detailed construction plans for the Destination Playground have been completed and a contract for its construction let to a Napier company.
Destination Playgrounds are popular nationally and internationally because of the diverse range of experiences they offer families on a day out. Like these, Anderson Park’s Destination Playground will allow people of all ages and abilities to play alongside each other, in areas offering similar experiences, but with different challenge levels.
Other features include:
- Graduated physical challenges
- All physical challenges provided for at all age levels; swinging, sliding, climbing, spinning
- High and low activity areas for all ages
- Contrasting experiences
- Structured and non-structured play experiences
- Areas to provide elevation, enclosure and sensory experiences
- Storytelling and verbal communication prompts
- Learning opportunities
- Family environment, picnic seating and shelter
- Natural play environment in balance with other play possibilities
- Visual circulation cueing on ground plane
- Non-isolating play equipment
- Transition features - younger children are provided for at the western end, and older children at the eastern end, where the skate bowl already exists.
Anderson Park is currently a large, popular, 36ha park with a well-used pathway network. The key attractions are the playground, ponds, model railway and model boats. The park also has a good range of mature trees, pathways and wide open green spaces that make it a desirable venue for family picnics and community events such as concerts, festivals and markets.
A Destination Playground is a playground aimed at families and provides an opportunity for a “day out”. They are designed to promote family interaction with diverse play opportunities for children, teenagers and adults.
The Destination Playground and park improvements is estimated to cost $2.5 million – an extended budget after overwhelming support in the 2015-2025 Council Long Term Plan consultation.
It is anticipated the redevelopment will be completed by mid-2018. You can view the full concept plan below.