Canary Island Date Palm
Canary Island Date Palm, Phoenix carnariensis
Location: Kennedy Road
Significance: Aesthetic Value
A major arterial route, the section of Kennedy Road closest to downtown Napier - Wellesley Road to Georges Drive - was originally planted with Plane trees.
In 1926, the Thirty Thousand Club formed the grass plots flanking the road and in 1929 the club donated Phoenix carnariensis, which were planted between the Plane trees. The palms were much admired, and in 1939 the Planes were removed. By 1943, the palms extended out to Greenmeadows.
When the suburbs of Onekawa and Pirimai were developed south of Riverbend Road, the construction of a dual carriageway road necessitated the removal of the palms flanking the original line of road.