The Sunbay consists of a curved arcade with a pierced wall of unglazed windows on the seaward side and a group of columns on the western side.
The structure was built in 1934, and in 1937 it was named the "Veronica Sun Bay" when the bell from HMS Veronica was presented to the city as a memento of the assistance given by the ship's officers and crew in rescue work in the aftermath of the 1931 earthquake.
By 1988, the steel reinforcing of the original structure had badly corroded and was unsafe. It was demolished and replaced with a replica in 1991.
Now housed in the Hawke's Bay Museum, the Veronica Bell is rung to herald in the New Year and again at the conclusion of Art Deco weekend to commemorate those who suffered and died in the earthquake.
The Veronica Sun Bay Originally erected in 1934 to commemorate the Hawke's Bay earthquake of 3rd February 1931. This memorial is named in honour of HMS Veronica and the outstanding service given by her officers and crew at the time of the disaster. Rebuilding of the Sun Bay was accomplished through the initiative and leadership of the Rotary Club of Napier and contributions from the citizens of Hawke's Bay and the Napier City Council. This plaque was unveiled at the dedication of the rebuilt memorial. It took place on the Sixtieth Anniversary of the earthquake - 3rd February 1991.
The Rotary Club of Napier acknowledge the contribution to the rebuilding of the Veronica Sunbay by:
Hon Architect - Gardiner, Prebensen Architects Ltd
Hon Engineer - Michael Newby and Associates
New Zealand Lottery Grants Board
Bay City Power
Veronica Sunbay Images
Veronica Sunbay Location Map
Marine Parade, opposite the seaward end of Emerson Street.