Harvey Memorial Gates
A like design to the Coker Memorial Gates at the opposite end of Nelson Park, the Harvey Memorial Gates were built eight years later, in 1929.
At the end of a short avenue of mature Canary Island Palms, they provide an equally majestic approach to the sportsground.
As with the Coker Memorial Gates, these comprise eight limestone columns linked by vertical metal railings. An elaborate light fixture sits atop each of the two centre columns flanking the drive into the park.
The Harvey Memorial Gates were gifted by the family of Thomas Harvey to commemorate Thomas Harvey, a police officer who was based at the Napier port in the 1880s.
Constable Harvey retired in 1901 and died 18 months later.
Harvey Memorial Gates Images
Harvey Memorial Gates Location Map
Latham Street end of Nelson Park.