In 1911, the Council installed an electric tram system that linked Ahuriri and downtown Napier and provided a branch line to the railway station. The service was later extended down Browning Street to McGrath Street.
According to the timetable, the trip from the old post office on the corner of Browning Street over Napier Hill to Ahuriri took 13 minutes.
The service ended after the earthquake of 1931.
The well-preserved wooden tram shelter on the corner of Battery and Shakespeare Roads remains, however, as a reminder of this early mode of transport in the city.
The building has been painted with figures dressed in fashions reminiscent of the period. A mural of a tram inside the shelter looks most realistic viewed from Battery Road, particularly at night when the building is lit up from within.
The murals are by Brenda Morrell. The Council has also commissioned this Napier artist to paint other murals around the city.
Tram Shelter Images
Tram Shelter Location Map
Corner of Battery and Shakespeare Roads, Ahuriri