Thompson Road Reservoirs and Water Tower
Taking advantage of Bluff Hill's elevation, the Thompson Road reservoirs on Bluff Hill supply water to 15 percent of Napier.
The Council has landscaped the commanding site, which offers a view southeast to Cape Kidnappers, with paving, a bench seat, grassed areas and planting.
Visitors to this historic location climb up a flight of steps onto the original reservoir which, built in 1890, is dug into a grassed mound. No longer used, it held 1.5 millions litres of water.
The water tower, originally erected in 1910, has been preserved as a distinctive landmark. Toppled in the 1931 earthquake, it was rebuilt by J J Niven and Co.
With a capacity of 34,000 litres, it provided water pressure for Bluff Hill houses until 1988.
The rectangular concrete tank was built in 1908. It has a capacity of 1.4 million litres and is still used to supply water to Bluff Hill homes. Built between 1931-33, the round tank can hold 5.7 million litres.
These storage tanks are part of the water pressure system for Napier Hill. Napier's water reticulation draws from a massive aquifer located under the Heretaunga Plains.
Thompson Road Water Tower Images
Thompson Tower Location Map
Thompson Road, Napier Hill