Blythe Memorial Fountain
This ornamental cast iron fountain commemorates William Robert Blythe's public service.
William Blythe was a founder of the Clive Square Improvement Society, established in 1884. For 20 years, he was a tireless advocate and financial contributor to the downtown garden's development.
When it was constructed in 1904, the fountain had an upper basin surmounted by the figure of a heron. The 1931 earthquake toppled this part of the structure, and the upper basin was restored in 1999. The fountain's water supply was turned off in 1920 and was not restored until June 1962.
Blythe Memorial Fountain Images
Blythe Memorial Fountain Location Map
Southern perimeter of Clive Square, downtown Napier.