Māori Pou Sculptures
The Māori Pou sculptures sited at the West Quay and Pandora Estuary depict the area where the local Kahungunu Māori met with other visiting Māori in their wakas laden with goods for trade and to exchange news of activities from different areas of New Zealand up to the 1890s.
The area was well known among Māori for a variety of seafood in the lagoon area and the around Park Island prior to the 1931 earthquake. There were a number of fishing villages on the islands in the lagoon who specialised in fishing and the collection of seafood.
The sculptures were carved by Hugh Tareha a local artist based at the Waiōhiki Marae