Stipulating a Marine Parade location, Mr and Mrs A B Hurst offered to donate a floral clock to the city in February 1954.
Mr Hurst was a member and vice-president of the Thirty Thousand Club, which supported Napier over many years by promoting the city as a visitor destination.
This floral clock is a gift to the citizens of Napier from Mr & Mrs A B Hurst Christmas 1955
The clock was duly installed on a purpose-built site between the original baths and the Tom Parker Fountain, in front of the War Memorial Hall - then under construction and now redeveloped as the Napier War Memorial Conference Centre.
Red and yellow carpet bedding plants were planted on the face of the clock, and dwarf begonias on its edges. To protect planting from salt-laden sea breezes, the clock was set into a sloping bank facing the street.
The clock was formally dedicated in December 1955.
In 1995, it was repositioned to accommodate changes to the forecourt of the renovated and extended conference centre. Facing the Soundshell, it provides a strong focal point for the northern end of the Marine Parade gardens.
The clock's long hand, measuring 3.4 metres, has a sweep of 2.75 metres. The small hand is 2.72 metres long.
To minimise risk of damage from vandalism, the clock automatically turns off at 6.30pm and restarts at 6.30am.