Napier Borough Council purchased the Tiffen Estate and house in 1907 to provide a site for the Municipal Theatre, which opened in 1912.
The house was the home of Henry Stokes Tiffen, a well-known identity in Napier's early history. It stood on the area now occupied by the upper level car park on the Napier Hill end of Dalton Street.
The steps and flanking pillars are at the foot of a path that leads to the wooded upper slopes of Tiffen Park. Winding paths are a feature of this reserve.
The entrance was built using a bequest of £880 in 1940 by Mary Smith. It was opened in December 1954.
This entrance to Tiffen Park was a bequest to the city by the late Miss Mary Alexander Smith of Napier.
Tiffen Park, Dalton Street, at the foot of Napier Hill.
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Napier City Council - www.napier.govt.nz / +64 6 835 7579 / firstname.lastname@example.org