This whimsically designed cast-iron lamp standard lights the flight of steps off Marine Parade between the Sunken Garden and Par 2 Mini Golf.
It is one of nine arc lights that were originally spaced along Marine Parade between the Napier Borough Council offices on the corner of Tennyson Street and the Marine Parade baths.
The light standards commemorated the work of George H Swan, Mayor of Napier from 1885-1901, who did much to promote the development of Marine Parade.
One of nine gas lamp posts converted to carbon arc in 1915 by the Napier Thirty Thousand Club. Refurbished and relocated in 1982 from a site near the War Memorial Hall. The present lantern is a 1950s style 250-watt mercury vapour, which is slightly smaller than the original lantern.
Marine Parade, at the northern approach to the Sunken Garden.
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Napier City Council - www.napier.govt.nz / +64 6 835 7579 / email@example.com