The original memorial took the form of a double-sided, seating shelter of reinforced concrete. The seats faced north and south and when first erected afforded views onto the putting green and the asphalt tennis courts. The tennis courts disappeared in 1967 to make way for the Sunken Garden.
The shelter was demolished in 1999, however the original memorial plaque has been retained.
This stone was laid by S Percy Spiller. As a tribute to the effort of the public of Napier in raising patriotic funds through the Napier Fun Session Committee during the war period 1939-1945 26 December 1947.
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Napier City Council - www.napier.govt.nz / +64 6 835 7579 / firstname.lastname@example.org