It is a Scottish tradition to erect a mound of stones as a memorial or marker. This large cairn, constructed in 1934 using limestone boulders backed with concrete, commemorates Donald McLean, who arrived in Hawke's Bay in December 1850 to begin land-purchasing negotiations with local Maori.
McLean was active for 12 months, securing a total of 628,700 acres (254,623 hectares) for the Colonial Government.
Later he returned to Hawke's Bay to farm at Maraekakaho, southwest of Hastings. He was MP for Napier from 1866 to 1877 and was knighted in 1874.
In 1910, his only son Robert Douglas MacLean (who adopted the 'Mac' orthography, although his father more commonly spelled his name with the 'Mc') donated 10 acres for a public park in memory of his father.
The Honourable Sir Donald MacLean, KCMG Gorn Kilmaluag, Tyree, Scotland 25th October 1820 Died Napier, New Zealand 5th January 1877.
In front of the approach to McLean Park, Latham Street, Napier.
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Napier City Council - www.napier.govt.nz / +64 6 835 7579 / firstname.lastname@example.org