A like design to the Coker Memorial Gates at the opposite end of Nelson Park, the Harvey Memorial Gates were built eight years later in 1929.
At the end of a short avenue of mature Canary Island Palms, they provide an equally majestic approach to the sportsground.
As with the Coker Memorial Gates, these comprise eight limestone columns linked by vertical metal railings. An elaborate light fixture sits atop each of the two centre columns flanking the drive into the park.
The Harvey Memorial Gates were gifted by the family of Thomas Harvey to commemorate Thomas Harvey, a police officer who was based at the Napier port in the 1880s.
Constable Harvey retired in 1901 and died 18 months later.
Latham Street end of Nelson Park.
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Napier City Council - www.napier.govt.nz / +64 6 835 7579 / email@example.com