In 1911, the Council installed an electric tram system that linked Ahuriri and downtown Napier and provided a branch line to the railway station. The service was later extended down Browning Street to McGrath Street.
According to the timetable, the trip from the old post office on the corner of Browning Street over Napier Hill to Ahuriri took 13 minutes.
The service ended after the earthquake of 1931.
The well-preserved wooden tram shelter on the corner of Battery and Shakespeare Roads remains, however, as a reminder of this early mode of transport in the city.
The building has been painted with figures dressed in fashions reminiscent of the period. A mural of a tram inside the shelter looks most realistic viewed from Battery Road, particularly at night when the building is lit up from within.
The murals are by Brenda Morrell. The Council has also commissioned this Napier artist to paint other murals around the city.
Corner of Battery and Shakespeare Roads, Ahuriri
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Napier City Council - www.napier.govt.nz / +64 6 835 7579 / email@example.com