Built in Latham Street in 1931, the pump station backing onto McLean Park was threatened with demolition when the Napier City Council decided to retire a well providing poor quality water.
There were concerns that the pump house might fall short of modern earthquake standards, but after experts gave it the all-clear it was refitted as a high tech booster pumping station regulating water between the two Napier Hill reservoirs.
The building was designed by leading Napier architect Louis Hay and is inspired by the strong linear forms of American architect Frank Lloyd Wright's "prairie style".
The paint scheme, featuring the building's original earthy colours of brown and blue, is based on remnants scraped off the walls.
Hay's trademark tile details, in this case applied to the parapet corners, have been polished clean to reveal the original red finish.
In 1999, the Council's restoration of the building attracted the "supreme" accolade in the Art Deco Trust's annual awards.
Latham Street, Napier South
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Napier City Council - www.napier.govt.nz / +64 6 835 7579 / email@example.com