This ornamental cast iron fountain commemorates William Robert Blythe's public service.
William Blythe was a founder of the Clive Square Improvement Society, established in 1884. For 20 years, he was a tireless advocate and financial contributor to the downtown garden's development.
When it was constructed in 1904, the fountain had an upper basin surmounted by the figure of a heron. The 1931 earthquake toppled this part of the structure, and the upper basin was restored in 1999. The fountain's water supply was turned off in 1920 and was not restored until June 1962.
Southern perimeter of Clive Square, downtown Napier.
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Napier City Council - www.napier.govt.nz / +64 6 835 7579 / firstname.lastname@example.org