Seniors in Napier
Like other provincial cities across New Zealand, Napier’s age structure is changing. Currently, one in five Napier residents are over 65 years old. In 15 years, this will be one in four. For the first time there will be more people aged over 65 than those under 14. This will present both challenges and opportunities for Napier.
We're in the process of developing a community-wide Positive Ageing Strategy for Napier. With the support of a number of agencies, organisations and seniors from the community, we have been learning about what’s important for seniors living in Napier. We’ve been talking to a number of interested groups and are also asking people to complete a survey to give us their views www.surveymonkey.com/r/PosAgeing. You’re welcome to tell us what you think – this survey is open to people of all ages until mid May 2018.
Did you know?
- 50% of people over 65 years live in the Taradale Ward
- 1 in 5 people in Napier are in the 65 years and over bracket
- Our new seniors are the teenagers of the 1960s
- Older people volunteer more
- 21% of people 65 years and over are in paid employment, this will rise to 31% in 2031
- New Zealand has a Positive Ageing Strategy and an Office for Seniors (www.osc.govt.nz )