Napier Creative Communities Scheme
To ensure Napier's aspiring artists keep their creative juices flowing, Creative New Zealand, in partnership with Napier City Council, distributes over $46,000 to groups, organisations and individuals working within our local creative community. There is no maximum amount you can apply for, though the average grant is usually between $500 and $2,500.
What we fund
Any group, organisation or individual may apply, though individuals must be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident. Your project must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Participation. The project will create opportunities for local communities to engage with and participate in arts activities.
- Diversity. The project will support the diverse arts and cultural traditions of local communities, enriching and promoting their uniqueness and cultural diversity.
- Young People. The project will enable and encourage young people (under 18 years) to engage with and actively participate in the arts.
What we look for
As well as the above criteria, these factors influence our decision:
- Quality of the project
- Artistic merit
- Impact on the local arts community
- Your ability to make it happen
- Good project planning and budgeting
- Level of financial need
- Viability of project where a project cannot be fully funded.
Applications should include the following:
- A detailed budget.
- Quotes for the items you require funding for.
- A project description, including dates, numbers of participants, and a programme of what you intend to achieve. If you are paying fees to artists or tutors, include a brief CV of who they are and their role in your project.
- If you are applying as an individual, include information on your background, work, and things you may have done/been involved with in the past.
- Groups or organisations must provide a copy of their latest financial statement. This can be a copy of the audited accounts, an income and expenditure statement or a copy of the unaudited management accounts.
The following organisations received funding in the September 2017 funding round.
|Battle in the Bay||$1,553|
|Beauty and the Beast Jr||$1,000|
|DIY Drama Day - Children's Workshop||$420|
|Festival of Noise||$2,000|
|HB Christmas at the Park||$4,000|
|Kiwi As 'Pre-loved and Pre-worked'||$1,500|
|Music Lessons for low-decile Napier schools||$2,000|
|Pre-Christmas choral of Handel's Messiah plus Mozart and Beethoven||$1,500|
|Song writing workshop with Jon Toogood||$1,700|
|The E.A.I T-shirt Design workshop||$2,000|
|West African songs, drumming and dance workshops||$1,500|
|Total funding distributed||$21,673|
How to apply
The Creative Communities Assessment committee meet to finalise decisions approximately five weeks after the close-off date. We'll notify applicants in writing of the outcome.
Note: If you're previously received CCS funding, either as an individual or part of a group, you must've completed a Project Completion Report for this project before we'll consider any further applications.
Napier City Council
c/- Community Strategies Team
Private Bag 6010
Napier City Council
215 Hastings Street