The Māori Pou sculptures sited at the West Quay and Pandora Estuary depict the area where the local Kahungunu Māori met with other visiting Māori in their waka laden with goods for trade and to exchange news of activities from different areas of New Zealand up to the 1890s.
The area was well known among Māori for a variety of seafood in the lagoon area and the around Park Island prior to the 1931 earthquake. There were a number of fishing villages on the islands in the lagoon who specialised in fishing and the collection of seafood.
The sculptures were carved by Hugh Tareha a local artist based at the Waiōhiki Marae.
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Napier City Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Napier City Council - www.napier.govt.nz / +64 6 835 7579 / firstname.lastname@example.org