The Customhouse facing out to the Iron Pot area of Napier's Inner Harbour served the Napier from 1895 to 1953 when the department was moved into
the city. Subsequently, several Government departments used the building.
Later, because of its age and poor state of repair, the Customhouse was threatened with demolition. The Hawke's Bay Harbour Board stepped in,
purchasing the building and overseeing its restoration.
In August 1989, the Harbour Board set up a trust to administer the building and the Customhouse was presented to the citizens of Napier and
Hawke's Bay for use as a meeting place and future maritime museum.
The building is not the city's original customhouse. After Napier was declared a customs point of entry in 1855, a combined customhouse/post
office was erected on the corner of Milton and Battery Roads.
A wharf search shed was opened in Waghorne Street, Ahuriri, in 1856. Then, in 1864, a new customhouse was built opposite the wharf search shed
office. The restored building in Customhouse Quay opened in 1895.
The iron try-pot near the Customhouse is typical of those used by whalers for trying out (melting down) blubber. The resultant oil was poured
into casks while waste from the cooking process was used to stoke up the fire beneath the try-pot.
Several small whaling stations operated along Hawke's Bay's coastline during the 1880s. These were strategically located to spot and capture
whales on their migratory paths.
Close up of the top of the Customho...
Anchor and a close up of the histro...
Close up of the Whalers Try-pot at ...
Close up of the entrance to the Cus...
The front of the Customehouse in Ah...
Customhouse Quay, Ahuriri
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is
accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or
indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith.
Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant
government agencies. Napier City Council take cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Where possible
we have tried to provide links to these government agencies for further reading.
Cadastral Information derived from Land Information New Zealands' Digital Cadastral DataBase (DCDB). CROWN
Portions of the Napier City Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online
graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced
information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
Fees & Charges Redclyffe Transfer Station NAPIER CITY COUNCIL REDCLYFFE TRANSFER STATION
Fees and Charges at the Redclyffe Transfer Station are set to recover costs only. Greenwaste is discounted to encourage diversion and to keep this mat