The bridge as part of a path through Anderson Park.
Straddling Greenmeadows and Tamatea, this major passive reserve is used by people from all parts of the city. The children's play area is a great
drawcard. In recent years, the Hawke's Bay Model Engineers Club have established a miniature railway system in the southwestern area of the park.
The wide open spaces make this a very attraction venue for large-scale events such as circuses and kite-flying festivals.
Part of the waterway system is a refuge for wild life, and in June 1967 the Council moved to legally protect the bird life by passing a bylaw.
School parties explore the water ecosystems for their botany and biology studies. Local schools also use the park for cross-country running and
Interest groups such as dog obedience clubs and the Model Marine Club make use of the park.
Girl Guides, Scouts and harriers have their headquarters within the park's boundaries.
The city's largest passive recreation park was once the home of the Napier Park Racing Club, formed at Greenmeadows in 1886. Racing ceased here
in about 1960 when the club moved to Hastings for race days.
The Council acquired the old racecourse site in 1962 under the Public Works Act. Development work got underway in 1966 with the formation of
over two hectares of waterways.
Tree planting and ground formation work was done to improve surface drainage and create an interesting landscape on an otherwise flat site.
Before the 1931 earthquake, several saltwater creeks crossed the park area, leaving a legacy of salt-laden soils. That, in turn, has influenced
the choice of trees and helped determined where they should be planted.
The children's play area was developed jointly with the Napier Lions Club, and parking areas were created at key points.
A $40,000 bequest from the late Haskell Anderson was a considerable help in developing the park. In particular, the funds have seen the establishment
of as wide a selection of trees as possible.
Combined pedestrian and cycle paths created in 1980 have greatly boosted the public's use and enjoyment of the park.
Anderson Park Images
The bridge as part of a path throug...
The bridge as part of a path throug...
The bridge accross the pond at Ande...
The pond at Anderson Park...
Skate Bowl, with rails at Anderson ...
Anderson Park toilet facilities ...
Picture of pond at Anderson Park....
Slides, and Climbing Bars at Anders...
Slide, Small Climber and more at An...
Basketball court, only half a court...
Accessed from car parks off Auckland Road and Taradale Road. On the Tamatea side of the park, roadside parking is available on York Avenue and
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is
accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or
indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith.
Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant
government agencies. Napier City Council take cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Where possible
we have tried to provide links to these government agencies for further reading.
Cadastral Information derived from Land Information New Zealands' Digital Cadastral DataBase (DCDB). CROWN
Portions of the Napier City Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online
graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced
information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
Temporary Road Closure - Farmers Market Notice is hereby given pursuant to the Local Government Act 1974, Section 342 that Emerson Street between Clive Square West and Clive Square East will be closed to all traffic every Saturday from 6.00