Prior to the 1931 earthquake, Napier City consisted of a town constructed on a relatively narrow shingle spit from approximately Ellison Street
to Domain Road, including the hill area (Scinde Island).
The Tutaekuri River at that time ran along the western side of Georges Drive and exited to the sea via the Iron Pot and a considerable part
of the developed area between the Inner City and Georges Drive had been reclaimed from former tidal marsh lands.
During the 1931 earthquake the land in and around Napier rose between one and two metres with large areas of seabed and marsh land uplifted
above the high tide level.
These areas which eventually became suitable for land development, were later deeded to the Harbour Board by Act of Parliament. This gave
successive Councils and Harbour Boards the opportunity to enter joint agreements to develop large greenfields areas into residential sections in
Marewa, Onekawa, Pirimai, Tamatea and industrial sections in Pandora and Onekawa. Most roads in these areas were constructed to modern standards
and as a result they are in first class condition and should have an indefinite life if properly maintained.
The next major expansion of the City's road network came in 1968 when the Taradale Borough was amalgamated with Napier. Approximately 7.0 kilometres
of these roads still consist of rural style carriageway with low strength pavements.
Lastly, in 1974 and 1989, areas of the Hawke's Bay County were taken into the City including Greenmeadows, Meeanee to the Tutaekuri River, Bay
View to the Esk River, and Poraiti. Most roads in these areas were formed to light rural standards with various pavement materials, narrow carriageways
and high crowns.
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Napier City Council to ensure that the information on this website is
accurate and up to date, Napier City Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or
indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith.
Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant
government agencies. Napier City Council take cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Where possible
we have tried to provide links to these government agencies for further reading.
Cadastral Information derived from Land Information New Zealands' Digital Cadastral DataBase (DCDB). CROWN
Portions of the Napier City Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online
graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced
information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
Temporary Road Closure - Farmers Market Notice is hereby given pursuant to the Local Government Act 1974, Section 342 that Emerson Street between Clive Square West and Clive Square East will be closed to all traffic every Saturday from 6.00